24 April 2006

Money, MTA, Taxis

I'm trying to save money. This, of course, is a mild joke, seeing that I live in Manhattan and am paid Manhattan wages-not Wall Street Manhattan wages, but, struggling, pathetic Manhattan wages.

At first, I was buying $76 monthly subway cards that would allow me to ride the bus or subway anytime all the time. I was hopeful that I'd be really really amazing and only take the subway or bus to work. But the bottom line is, when I'm lying in bed, it's 3pm and I have to get up right THEN or have an hour more sleep and take a cab to work..I just think to myself, "this hour of sleep is worth $9." Then I proceed to toss and turn for an hour, being mad at myself for not getting up so I can take the bus and spend $2 instead of $9. Which adds up, let me tell you.



I love my metro card. The freedom it affords me. I love it. But mostly when time is not an issue and I'm going ridiculously far uptown or into Brooklyn or something. The bus and I have become friends this week. And I'm rollerblading to work today.

I like doing that because one of my perks at work is this: we have a spa. So I rollerblade to work, thusly getting some sort of physical exercise (now I just need the intellectual stimulation and I'm on my way), then I take a steam and a shower and get to work. It's a good system.

I like taxis, too. Riding in one is kind of a forced isolation and allows you to look at the outside world alone and critically. Riding across the Williamsburg Bridge, alone, in a taxi, does wonders for the brain.

Goodbye $76 metro cards. Hello pay as-you-go metro cards, taxies and rollerblades.

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger stacey said...

good luck out there.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Peggy W said...

These are learning opportunities--oh, f it! It's a pain in the neck. Looking back, way back, I wish I knew then what I know now BUT if I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have learned some things that have been very important to me now. Whew!
bottom line: hang in there. We'll SEE you Sunday! have lots of hugs and kisses and love to share...

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Fruit-booter.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Ma, I feel like you were about to drop some knowledge. I think it might actually be unfair to keep these things to yourself. You have the advantage of being old and it might be your responsibility to share with my friends and me...then again at 29 you were driving the pimpest Mercedes I've seen to this day. Girl, you got it goin' on! Keep your knowledge. We'll figure it out one way or another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home