14 August 2005

I l o v e d Sassy Magazine

So if you're a female just about anywhere in my age range, you know Sassy Magazine. The magazine that saved us from Seventeen, YM and worse, Cosmo, Vogue, etc. This magazine had great stories, pages called "What You Say" full of witty quotes: one of which I still remember: "If 'Fe' is the periodic symbol for 'iron', does that make females 'iron males'?" That's stuck with me for almost 11 years. For a second here I thought Sassy was the only publication that published a letter to the editor I wrote, but upon some digging in my brain I realize Sassy would have NEVER wrote the girl-hating article entitled something like "When You Know You're a Slut" or some aboslute crap like that. I wrote and said what I hope you'd think I'd say: Girls have a hard enough time in high school with out lying articles like yours that pit girls against each other in a very real and cruel way. Something along those lines. In a turn of events, Rob is the published offspring now (great letters to the editor)!

Amazing how much the small things count...Or, I guess it's not really amazing as much as it is just sad that we forget how important it is to be recognized, and recognize people, for whatever it is that we're good at. Turned out I was good at cutting up those magazines and making collages. Look where it's gotten me now. (I'm not going to touch that for the time being.) Needless to say, I would love to have a complete set of those magazines. They're timeless and what I wouldn't give to be able to hand them down to a daughter--of someone's. Maybe mine, maybe not.

REGARDLESS, I, on a whim, Googled "Sassy Magazine". I'm not the only one! Found this: Sissy Magazine. It's the last issue of the mag that never got put to paper. The staff was pissed, disappointed-I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I still think about that damn magazine! 11 years later! I'm not the only one, either.

Jane Pratt and Sassy also, awesomely, employed intern Chloe Sevigny who's been in Broken Flowers, Boys Don't Cry and (the creepy) Kids (remember that one?!).

Here is some sample Sassy content. I can only hope more appears.

Anyway, I credit that magazine (along with about a million other fortunate events) for making me a feminist, in my own terms, and I quite like it. More on that later, too (I'm sure...it manages to come up!). In the mean time we do have Bitch and BUST. Read up!

8 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Wow. The covers alone make me regret never having gotten into Sassy.

I was doomed to making fun of/ scouring seventeen every month.

It really is a stupid name, though.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Susie said...

You only don't like the name because you weren't privileged enough to be a Sassy girl. Yes, it's a little dumb, but you know what else is? "Seventeen" and "Young and Modern" (lest you think that YM was a hip acronym).

I'm not as cool as reading Sassy should have made me, or how cool it made other girls, but it did save me from the dark make-up, bulimic, my-life-is-run-by-what-boys-and-bitches-think-of-me school drama. And I spent h o u r s cutting those magazines up and putting them in to my own format...which are laminated and residing in my parents' attic in Minnesota.

I anoint you honorary Sassy (with a better name) girl. Plus, you know how much I love it when you comment on my blog.... :)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Susie said...

(at least Sassy played a roll in saving me from that dark path previously mentioned...)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Maki said...

Is it bad to admit that I distinctly remember that Kurt & Courtney issue? And reading that story?

My sister had a subscription. Honest.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Maki-it actually makes you waaaaaaay extremely cooler than you were. I remember a LOT of moments with these magazines (as you can likely tell by my verbose account of their effect on my life). Big fan and big fan of people who are also big fans :)

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Maki said...

I am now waaaaaaay extremely cooler than I was, and it's all because I read my sister's Sassy.

Somebody please make sure that quote shows up somewhere in the sales materials whenever they resurrect the magazine, please.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A SUPPORTED BY THE DEVELOPER TOOLS? It was interesting. You seem very knowledgeable in ypour field.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous gay beastility stories said...

Cathline was now touching, stroking andcaressing Johns face, body and breasts, and he was kissing her as well. Teela had been firstattracted to the guys eyes while everyone elses had been pools of fear,this guy had been calm, wary, intelligent a possible predator.
female spanking male stories
bdsm college stories
free online erotic stories
erotic vampire stories free
survivor stories rape
Cathline was now touching, stroking andcaressing Johns face, body and breasts, and he was kissing her as well. Teela had been firstattracted to the guys eyes while everyone elses had been pools of fear,this guy had been calm, wary, intelligent a possible predator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home