27 April 2006

Your Motto

What is your motto? Or your mantra? Or the one thing that drives you every day? Do you have one?

I do, I think. I want to know yours. Do it anonymously, if you want. Just share with a sister. I think if someone were to ask me what I try to do every day it would be to make people happy. Even if it's for just one moment and even if it means I look dumb, or crack a whopping failure of a joke. To make the lives of as many other people happier. I think. It could be just to Get Rich or Die Trying. (That was a joke!)

Love to all and to all sweetest of dreams.

Quickly: I know my mom will remember him. Justin, from Byerly's in St Louis Park. The sweetest guy ever. It started ever-so-innocently, I was a wee lass. I mean, I must have been 12 or 13. Justin was probably 17 or 18? Mom? Justin was deaf, two hearning aids and had a gorgeous smile. We would wait in his line, so I could make eyes at him and he would make me blush. It must have been just a year he worked there. And we had relatively limited interaction. I don't even remember much other than smiles. But I remember him so so fondly. Of course he moved on from bagging groceries and I never saw him again. And I still think about him. Flirting with him was one of the best things about my junior high school days.

8 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Sigh. There are two. No laughing.

Personal Mantra:
1. Listen To The Lion.
Stolen from a Van Morrison song.

Life Philosophy:
2. Be a good Grandpa.

A good Grandpa has a story for everything, sweets in his pockets, a twinkle in his eye, knows how to fix almost everything, and if he doesn't, he knows a guy that can. He's good with dogs, bicycles, and scraped knees. He can judge character, stretch a nickel, and make a pretty mean meat loaf. He'll spoil you, teach you about nothing and everything and once in a while still pinch his wife's bottom. Be a good Grandpa.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger stacey said...

Om mani padme hum (buddhist).
Signifies "the jewel in the lotus of the heart", a reference to the hidden spark of divinity within each human being. The lotus takes root in the mud at the bottom of a pond and sends its tall stalk up through the water towards the light. At last it breaks onto the surface, opening to the sun, blossoming brightly. Reminds us that however imperfect our beginnings, whatever mistakes we may have made in the past, all of us can come to be beautiful.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I love you people.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Peggy W said...

I don't have a single driving mantra or motto. There are many I draw upon from time to time. My day starts with a "daily med" that comes to me from Hazelden each morning. http://www.hazelden.org/ This is a good start and often features a reminder for that I need. This morning's was the power of opening oneself up to love. Sometimes I wonder why I have to reminded of these things; most of the time I am grateful there is a reminder!
You do have awesome friends...

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Peggy W said...

Oops. I didn't proof read this last entry before I hit "publish." I know you'll love me--even with my imperfections, or, maybe, BECAUSE of my imperfections!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Susie said...

From a good friend who wanted to stay anon:

It's a mantra I use when I
am trying to get balanced. It's from the 3rd step of the 12 step programs, but I use it all the time. "God, I offer myself to you — to build with me and to do with me as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do your will. Take away my difficulties, that
victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of your power, your love, and your way of life. May I do your will always."

I also use "BRASS" -- breathe, relax, aim, stop, squeeze. It's a tool Marines use when firing on a target, but it works in a lot of different contexts. Like traffic or checkout lines. I don't envision aiming at someone, just focusing, recentering.

I also have a philosophy I try to live -- Leave it better than you found it.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mine of the moment are:
Dwell in possibility. Appreciate small wonders.
Remember to breathe.

And I agree with Miss Rumphius (from the children's book Lupin Lady...read it if you haven't)who says everyone must do three things in their lives.
1. Explore many far-off places in the world.
2. Live by the sea at least once in your life.
3. Do something to make the world more beautiful.

I'm working on number 3 these days.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have several and they are all related to my spiritual sense of the cosmos. The first is "as above, so below." This simply reminds me that we are but a reflection of the grand scheme ... and so, 2) there are no coincidences. Everything we do, think, feel is the right thing for us at the moment because our will works with our soul's desire and our past histories (other lives) to bring us to each moment. Run into an old friend unexpectedly? There's a reason - we just may not know it at the time. Often it will become clear. I try to remember (though anger has a way of messing with my memory) that divinity is within each of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home