04 May 2006

Hooray Hooray

What does May Day mean? For me it means I'm a year older...every year! I appreciate the day for it being International Workers Day and also the Pagan fertility holiday. My dad used to say (before I was born) a little poem. "Hooray hooray! It's the first of May! Outdoor f***ing begins today!" He stopped saying it when I was born...

I didn't even know he said it til my 16th birthday, when over my birthday cake (angel food, whipped cream, strawberries) they told me this tale. Now we typically recite this little diddy. Good times. Great family. I miss them a lot and it was nice to have them in town.

3 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Peggy W said...

Glad to see your post of the origin of May Day. Interesting evolution. It has been a special day for me for 26 years!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Brendan said...

goddamnit I told myself I wouldn't forget your birthday. happy getting older.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm eating peanut sauce and thinking of you. Happy bday month, sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home