12 May 2007

I Love Radio

Thank God, number 1, for Public Radio, in general. Number 2 for Mpls/St Paul's The Current 89.3 (I can listen to it all the way from Minneapolis to the lake in Cumberland, WI).

I was driving from Minneapolis to WI this morning and came across Sound Opinions. A show out of Chicago Public Radio in cahoots with American Public Media (who are also responsible for the fabulous Splendid Table) that is, at times, gimmicky (Rock Doctors...good concept, just a little "Car Talk-y" but not in the good way Car Talk is), but mostly information filled and funny. I had to get gas today on the way north and I left my windows open with the radio on so I wouldn't miss a thing...I love Sound Opinions. I might start to love Jim and Greg if I'm not careful :)

So, do me and you a favor and tune in and see if you like it. And if you do, tell your friends about it! And if you find yourself listening pretty often, give 'em money. I'm pretty sure the best club in the country to belong to is Public Radio lovers!

Shots out for musical genius in their own ways:

Brendan: for your yearly best of albums that always open new doors-and somehow getting me to like Eminem and Gang Starr
Matt: for being a founding member of The Current and introducing me to Wilco
Em: for the San Fran for Suz mix and general wonderfulness
Rob: U2, Peter Gabriel, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cream, Moody Blues, Tom Petty...
Nate: U2 and knowing how to ROCK
Andrew: Allen Ginsberg and Art Blakey
Sam: reintro of John Mayer and getting me to sing
Joel: for thinking I might be able to write songs
Emma: for the love of art
Vanessa: for the sounds of Brooklyn and beyond on Sunday mornings
Vanessa B: Gipsy Kings in Miami
Cassie: Dancing in the kitchen
Michelle: Ani while driving around the lakes
Sara: the O Brother Where Art Though genre and signing your heart out
Cole: Massive Attack
Dan: The Last Time I Committed Suicide soundtrack
El: innumerable
Kate: dancing anywhere and everywhere
Denielle: always listening
Justin: interest in new things, always
Cleaver: the mixes you made me when I left Cali and your insatiable love of music
Syliva: general inspiration
Jane: for Lucinda Williams and Trip Shakespeare
RKW: life consulting and artistry in life
Aaron: for somehow getting Brendan to listen to something other than hip hop
Adam B: Amy Winehouse and relatively objective consulting services
Adam U: those Jewish rappers :)
Nicola: for trying to get my folks to go to a ZZ Top concert. This year.

On another note, Obama missing talking to the NH Fire Fighters personally is a pretty big gaffe. Regardless of how he "had a talking to" with his staff. Lame-zo. And that the prevailing take on the story is that he "chewed out his staff" and isn't missing this meeting is even MORE lame of the media.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCROLL DOWN
I was driving from Minneapolis to WI this morning and came across Sound Opinions. A show out of Chicago Public Radio in cahoots with American Public Media (who are also responsible for the fabulous Splendid Table) that is, at times, gimmicky (Rock Doctors...good concept, just a little "Car Talk-y" but not in the good way Car Talk is), but mostly information filled and funny. I had to get gas today on the way north and I left my windows open with the radio on so I wouldn't
miss a thing...I love Sound Opinions. I might start to love Jim and Greg if I'm not careful

:)
Yes, this is a quote from your blog. I bumped into it on the Internet.I noticed you are a fan of Sound Opinions. So am I. In fact I thought the idea was so good I put those two remarkable guys together for what I thought would be occasional local radio appearances. They morphed into a national syndicated program.

I will send them a copy of your comments. I'm sure they will appreciate knowing you care.

Regards from Chicago,
Ed Schwartz
(WIND-WGN-WLUP)
Emeritus

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger stacey said...

Used tolisten toNPF,but then I graduated KPFA-94.1 Berkeley. Ain't nothing else like public funded radio. the only media I actually volunteer my time for funddrives.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger stacey said...

although, i do dig car talk-learnedmany helpful things over many years listening them.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Amy Lynn said...

Hey Susie! I thought I'd post in this thread since it's about music. You should buy every song on Tori's new album. It is a fucking masterpiece and her best of all time. Seriously, I don't say that lightly.

My faves at this moment,
Teenage Hustling
Girl Disappearing
Secret Spell
Code Red
Roosterspur Bridge
Almost Rosey
Smokey Joe.

Let me say again that every song on this album is superb and you must buy it ASAP! I love Tori.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home