25 December 2006

Poetry

Poetry has been darting around this Christmas and some of it has caught my eye/ear/mind/heart.








Robert Frost

A Prayer in Spring

Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers today;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.

Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.

And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.

(I love this one)

Where had I heard this wind before
Change like this to a deeper roar?
What would it take my standing there for,
Holding open a restive door,
Looking down hill to a frothy shore?
Summer was past and day was past.
Somber clouds in the west were massed,
Out in the porch's sagging floor,
Leaves got up in a coil and hissed,
Blindly struck at my knee and missed.
Something sinister in the tone
Told me my secret must be known:
Word I was in the house alone
Somehow must have gotten abroad,
Word I was in my life alone,
Word I had no one left but God.

Love Song: I and Thou by Alan Dugan

Allen Ginsberg

Excerpt from Sunflower Sutra

Unhold battered old thing you were, my sunflower O my soul, I
loved you then!

Robert Pinsky

Excerpt from The Knight's Prayer

It was like the birth
Of an infant: the father, in sudden
Overthrow, turning from indifference
To absolute care, a ferocity
Of petition dwarfing desire,
All of life flowing at once
Toward the new, incompetent soul.



There'll be much much more of this to come... xoxo

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger promiseme4 said...

ahhhh some of my favorites...
-Promise<3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home