23 June 2006

The Last Couple Weeks: In Parts


Well, I've not had internet for a while. Whatever is wrong with it at home, I'm waiting for Cassie to deal with. One she knows more about that stuff than I do, two, she's a hell of a pusher on the phone. I, am not. I am too nice sometimes. I'm working on it. Hopefully by the time I have rugrats I'll have an "A in mean" as my mother often told me she did when I would rail and tell her she's the meanest mom in the world (she wasn't and isn't. I was wrong...). Anywho, while I'm in Wisconsin this weekend, I'll write some. Ever-self-editing, the best way to know what's going on is to get a drink with me. But I don't do that much these days either. Oh wait. Yes I do. I definitely still get drinks after work these days. You can count on that :)

Part Uno:

Biggest news to date is that my grandfather died almost two weeks ago. It was about 5 weeks ago that I went to see him and I'm so so glad that I did. I remember the last time I saw him, as I was walking out the door. And the way that former-minister, cum manager at the home, made me (allowed?) to cry on my way out. Understanding people are few and far between and, God, do I appreciate them. I'm pretty sure my grandpa helped me make my plane to MN yesterday. Polly mentioned in her blog that when her grandmother died all she wanted to do was put her hands on her parents and be sure they were still around. I waited, patiently, I will add, two weeks to see my folks. And after my grandpa died, all I wanted to do was be with my parents. After run around with HR that triggered one of my worse days at work, I'm here. I'm only afraid that I'll not want to leave come Sunday.

Part Deux:

Since I needed to see my parents-and I mean "need" here, I do not mean "want". They are too important to me and I am too far away from them to not see them when I need to-and they were generous enough to buy me a plane ticket back to MN to drive to to WI for a weekend at the cabin. Straight to the cabin and straight to the airport. Just the way I like it.

Interlude One:

I'm lucky to have Kate and Matt coming up tomorrow for a feast we'll put together whilst my folks are at a party for a friends' daughter's marriage in Stillwater, Minnesota. They'll arrive tomorrow afternoon and spend the night and take me to the airport on Sunday afternoon (after my dad makes waffles, bacon and sausage-and yes, two breakfast meats are REQUIRED at the cabin. No discussion necessary!). I walked by the guest bedroom up here (of which there are plenty-the place is made for visitors-I absolutely love it here-more on that in Part Something Or Other) and there's a needlepoint pillow that reads, "Friends are the best presents". It made me think of Kate and I am so grateful for her, for Michelle, Sylvia, Vanessa, Emma, Cris, Emily, Jean, Sara, Jake, Adam, Brendan, Stacey, Nicole, Tammy, Leigh, Stephanie, Lindsay, Eli, Amy, Cassie, Andrew, Ben, Jenna, Erin, Andy V, Darci, Justin, Doug, Eric, Paige, Rich and of course Rob, Mom and Dad (and Boots)...and the other lovely lovely people who make my life a garden (adapted from Goethe, to give credit).

Interlude Two:

I left work on time yesterday to get to the airport. Then I trusted signs that said to take the E uptown to JFK. Turns out if I'd stuck with it, it may have worked, but I freaked because I'd not gone that way before. I got off the E, and got on the A going downtown. I ran into an old bartender from my work and he took all faith I had that I'd make it away. So, I trudged off and went to wait for a taxi. $45. Hmph. I looked at my phone. 4:45pm. FUCK! All the cabs are off duty cause they're going to turn over! I flagged diligently and did what I could. At 4:55pm a cabbie pulled over, I mouthed "JFK" and he waved me in. He said, "I could tell by your face you really needed a ride." "I just *really* want to go home!" Inducing tears. But those went away. UNTIL I saw the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. It was a parking lot. The tears, you know, the silent kind that just stream down your face, started coming. I told myself I wouldn't call my mom until I was really concerned about missing the flight. I thought it left at 6:25pm. I was sure I'd miss it. I cried. The cabbie ignored me, which I really appreciated. Then I called my mom at about 6. This was the closest I've ever been to hyper ventilating, for the avoidance of it I thank yoga and meditation, but I just don't recall this kind of physical upsetness. But there I was. I had snot pouring all over me, so I yanked a t-shirt from my bag and made it into the massive hankey I never had. SO I was on the tele with my mother and she was like, "your flight leaves at 6:45, Susie." "No (heave) it (heave) does (heave) n't!" And it did. If it did leave at 6:25 I would have missed it. 6:45, I had a chance. I was so mad at myself; mad at the prospect of not spending the night in WI last night and just mad that it hadn't worked the way it was supposed to.

Part Three:

I don't think I can organize this in parts. And I have to go grill asparagus since that's the part of dinner I'm responsible for. Rib roast, pop overs, tomato and avocado salad and grilled asparagus. Anyone want to be here?! I'm stoked.

My dad and I went on a bike ride today. It was nice. I don't exercise much in the city, so it's nice to do here. I'll sleep like a baby again tonight.

More later. Lots of love, as always.


At 11:11 PM, Blogger Brendan said...

Damn am I jealous. I'm about to go to sleep - please make sure to find me in my dreams and take me to WI with you. you've inspired me to resurrect my almost-dead blog tonight - keep writing, I enjoy reading.

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Robert Whitlock said...

And you get to return in a couple of weeks! The best part being that I will be there too! Ha ha ha. Glad to hear that you made it to the airport in time to catch your flight.

I had quite an adventure getting to JFK last May when I was visiting you in NYC. The supershuttle driver got me there in plenty of time however. It was a wild ride though.

See you soon.

At 10:01 AM, Blogger cole said...

is the interenet thing fixed yet? miss your almost daily entries.

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Sara said...

oh no, you got spammed! damn the bastards.

grilled asparagus sounds incredible.

miss you, sister.

At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Susie in P'land, ME said...

My internet connection is still some BS. Life, though, is good. I have an entry written on my compy at home to post. Although, I think that it may be a bit...not quite right for le blog.

I'm in Portland, ME now and feeling quite happy about it. A totally different world where there are funny people, lots of sea and some good brews.

Feeling good, really looking forward to getting back on the blog bit.

Miss you all, always.

At 3:44 AM, Blogger ames said...


At 9:03 PM, Blogger anna-brooklynn-1351 said...

Helloooooooo world!


Post a Comment

<< Home